Join us to celebrate the land, water, wildlife, and people of the Pacific Northwest! In 2022, we are again hosting a series of outdoor tours that foster connections with nature and with each other. These events are free of charge, though you are welcome to make a donation during the registration process to support our conservation work.
This fall, Columbia Land Trust is offering THREE types of tours! In addition to observing chum salmon spawning and sandhill crane migration, we’ve added a lovely hike at Nestwood Forest, a soon-to-be conserved Land Trust site outside Corbett, Oregon. These events would not be possible without the support of our generous sponsors, listed below. We hope to see you on a tour!
- Times have been selected based on our best estimates of migration periods, with considerations for weather and tides.
- Group size will be limited to 20 people for Nestwood Forest hikes and Chum Salmon tours and 30 people for our Sandhill Crane tours.
- Chum and crane tours are about 60 minutes long, and Nestwood Forest hikes are about 120 minutes long.
- Tours will take place rain or shine, so please check the weather forecast beforehand and dress in appropriate outdoor attire.
- Nestwood Forest hikes will require participants to walk on a narrow trail, with some steep sections, stairs, and uneven terrain. We will walk at a conversational pace with regular breaks.
- Each tour time has a unique registration link below, so make sure you click the correct link when signing up. If a link is not active it means that time slot is full.
- Please email email@example.com with any questions, and to let us know if you become unable to attend a tour for which you are registered.
Nestwood Forest Hiking Tour near Corbett, OR
Hike 2-3 miles with fellow nature enthusiasts around Nestwood Forest in Corbett, Oregon. Learn about the passion of private landowners who are creating a family legacy of conservation and generosity. The hike is on a narrow trail with some uneven and steep terrain, but we will travel at a leisurely pace and take regular breaks. Duration: About 2 hours
Wednesday, Oct. 5 @ 1pm
Friday, Oct. 7 @ 9am
Saturday, Oct. 8 @ 9am
Thursday, Oct. 13 @ 9am
Friday, Oct. 14 @ 9am
Sandhill Crane Tour in Vancouver, WA (Frenchman’s Bar Regional Park)
With bright red heads, long slender legs, and distinctive bugle calls, viewing sandhill cranes is an unforgettable experience, and this unique Land Trust site, which we farm to benefit cranes, attracts them in record numbers! This tour requires a minimal amount of walking. Duration: About 60 minutes
Wednesday, Nov. 9 @ 8am
Friday, Nov. 11 @ 8am
Monday, Nov. 14 @ 8am
Friday, Nov 18 @ 8am
Chum Salmon Spawning Observation in Vancouver, WA (On the Columbia River off Hwy 205)
Gather along the shores of the Columbia River just east of the I-205 bridge to witness the return of dozens of chum salmon, spawning before your eyes. This tour requires a minimal amount of walking down a dirt path to the viewing platform.
Duration: About 60 minutes
Thursday, Dec. 1 @ 9am
Thursday, Dec. 1 @ 11:30am
Tuesday, Dec. 6 @ 9am
Tuesday, Dec. 6 @ 11:00am
Thursday, Dec. 8 @ 3pm