Help your neighbors transform their yards and community sites into habitats!
POSTPONED – Due to concerns regarding the spread of the COVID-19 illness, this volunteer training has been postponed. A new date for the training is yet to be determined. We will update this page when a date is set.
The Backyard Habitat Certification Program (BHCP) is an environmental stewardship program that supports community members in their efforts to transform their yards and community sites into a habitat for wildlife—such as birds, bees, and beneficial insects—through sustainable gardening practices. Volunteers are an essential part of this program and support our work in Clackamas, Clark, Multnomah, and Washington counties. The BHCP is currently seeking volunteers who:
- Have experience with, or interest in, natural/sustainable gardening
- Are knowledgeable in, or want to learn about, native plants and noxious weeds
- Enjoy working with people and value the diverse individuals and communities that participate in the program
WHEN: Saturday, April 4, 2020
WHERE: Hinson Baptist Church, 1137 SE 20th Ave, Portland.
New Volunteer Orientation: 9:00 am – 10:30 am
- This training provides an overview of the BHCP and various volunteer roles. All new volunteers are required to attend.
Certification Volunteer Training: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- New/untrained volunteers that hope to certify backyard habitats must attend this training. Certification volunteers meet with program participants, walk their site, and determine if the five elements of the program have been implemented.
- This training is also for any Backyard Habitat volunteers wanting to deepen their knowledge of the five elements of the program: noxious weeds, native plants, pesticide reduction, stormwater management, and wildlife stewardship.
Questions? Contact Megan at email@example.com or (971) 222 6126