As a member of Columbia Land Trust’s Heritage Circle, you have honored our organization by including us in your estate planning. Thank you! Your generosity has an incredible impact and this year we want to celebrate you by kicking off a new tradition, Heritage Hikes! On April 19th or 21st we invite you to join other Heritage Circle members and Land Trust staff for a day amongst the beautiful wildflowers of the East Cascades.
These hikes will take place outside The Dalles, Oregon at sites conserved by the Land Trust which boast an incredible display of balsamroot, lupine, and Indian paintbrush, interspersed with stands of Oregon white oak. You will be joined by Natural Area Manager Kate Conley who will interpret the site’s ecological features and will share the Land Trust’s accomplishments in native meadow conservation.
Below you will find details regarding registration and what to expect on the hike. All registered attendees will receive a reminder email 1-2 weeks before your tour date, with any itinerary changes or new information.
Please register by April 7th using one of the two links below, depending on the date you wish to attend. You may register to bring a guest, and we ask that all attendees read and sign our tour liability waiver which will be provided by email prior to the event. Space is limited on these tours, but more hiking opportunities will be available later this year!
Itinerary (same schedule for both tours):
- 9:30am: Meet at Columbia Gorge Outlets in Troutdale, outside Starbucks (Map Link)
- 9:45am – 11:00am: Travel to trailhead
- 11:00am – 1:00pm: Guided walk and lunch
- 1:00pm – 2:30pm – Travel back to Columbia Gorge Outlets parking lot
Safety and Planning:
This tour will involve 2-3 miles of hiking, including some very steep sections and uneven terrain. The group will move at a moderate pace with frequent pauses to admire the nature around us. Lunch time will offer another opportunity for a break. Though rare, encounters with poison oak, ticks, and rattlesnakes are possible at this site. There are no bathrooms and there is limited natural cover. There is a restroom at the Starbucks where we will gather, and we can make a pit stop on our drive back to Troutdale after the hike. Parking is limited at the trailhead, so we will carpool and caravan from our meeting point in Troutdale to the destination and back.
What to pack:
- Hiking boots that protect your ankles.
- Walking sticks or poles if you find them helpful for stability on uneven terrain.
- This is an exposed site, so it is advisable to dress in layers for brisk winds and direct sun.
- Please pack your own drinking water. Snacks and lunch will be provided.
- Though not required, you can bring binoculars for the occasional eagle sighting!
Please contact Events Manager Peter Condra with any questions at email@example.com or at (503) 847-3342.